Golfers Interview

Golfers Charlie and Harry Hillier are brothers from Te Puke, New Zealand.

Kansas men's golf ended Friday tied for fifth place after the first round of the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate in Palm Desert, California. The Jayhawks are shooting 9-over-par, just seven strokes off fellow Big 12 team No. 18 Texas Tech.

Senior Charlie Hillier had a big day for Kansas as he had an even-par 72 performance. The senior is now tied for seventh place in the 120-golfer field.

“Charlie was solid today and played like a senior,” Kansas coach Jamie Bermel said, according to a Kansas Athletics news release. “He managed his golf game really well today and battled the entire round.”

Charlie’s brother, sophomore Harry Hillier, finished the day 5-over-par (77) at the conclusion of round one. He started the day strong, with a 1-over performance following the front nine. Fellow sophomore Ben Siegel also had a solid day as he finished 1-under on the front nine with an overall score of one-over-par (73).

Bermel believed the weather conditions slowed the men down as the finished out the day.

“Wind really picked up on the back nine and we struggled.” Bermel said. “Still the first round of the spring and I think we can build off today and be better the next two days.”

Making his debut for Kansas, redshirt freshman Jeff Doty recorded four birdies, finishing four-over-par. 

Kansas will work on maintaining composure and battling through the weather to improve in the final rounds.

“We need to manage our emotions better and battle better. Conditions were tough, but they were tough for everyone.” Bermel said. “We have one round under our belt and now we need to make some progress the next two days.”

The Jayhawks will continue competition Saturday morning with round two beginning at 9 a.m.