IMG_1514.jpg

Kansas rowing was swept by in-state foe Kansas State in the Dillons Sunflower Showdown Saturday, May 4. 

Kansas rowing took fourth place at the Big 12 Championship Sunday at Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, scoring 82 points, anchored by two boats finishing fourth overall.

“Overall, I was really pleased with how the team handled the flooding in Lawrence the last 10 days of training [leading up to the Big 12 Championship]," coach Carrie Cook-Callen said in a Kansas Athletics press release. “Most of our crews had their best race of the season today, which is what you want as a team."

The First Varsity Eight team took fourth with a time of 6:46.16, edging Tennessee by .65 seconds. The squad was unable to take third as Alabama beat the boat by just over three seconds.

"The 1V8 really got faster these last two weeks of training. They took the close loss to K-State [at the Sunflower Showdown] as motivation to come out and train harder,” Cook-Callen said in the release. “They put themselves in a position to push into the pack of crews from OU, Alabama and Tennessee." 

The Second Varsity Four also finished in fourth place, beating Tennessee with a time of 7:53.81.

The Second Varsity Eight claimed fifth overall in a time of 6:58:46. The Third Varsity Eight took sixth in its race with a time of 7:16.43.

The First Varsity Four boat claimed sixth place in its race, beating only West Virginia in the race.

Surprisingly, the best Varsity Four boat came from the exhibition race as the Third Varsity Four boat finished with a time of 7:42.79.

The No. 4-ranked Texas Longhorns swept each and every race, claiming a Big 12 Championship for the third-straight season. No. 20 Oklahoma took second followed by Kansas State.

The Mountaineers took last in every one of its races and the team took last in the championship, claiming only six total points.

The NCAA Rowing Championship will begin Friday, May 31 and conclude Sunday, June 2.