Womens Rowing vs KSU-5.jpg

The Jayhawks compete against Kansas State at the Sunflower Showdown on April 28, 2018.

Returning to the East Coast for its second-consecutive regatta, Kansas rowing collected a season-high three gold medals at the George Mason Invite on Sunday in Fairfax Station, Virginia.

Following four successful opening heats early in the morning, the Jayhawk shells of Wave the Wheat, Ad Astra, Oread and Quiet Beast all advanced to the grand finals.

Wave the Wheat, Kansas’ First Varsity Eight, kick started the day for the Jayhawks, besting Eastern Michigan and St. Joe’s in its grand final with a time of 6:33.30 to earn the first top-finish for Kansas. 

Soon after, Ad Astra, the Second Varsity Eight, built off this momentum, out-rowing conference rival West Virginia in its grand final with a time of 6:45.10 to continue the winning streak for the Jayhawks.

To round out the trio of gold, the Oread, the First Varsity Four, composed of sophomores London Acree and Katie Donnellan, senior Michaela Theis, redshirt senior Kelly Koenigsman and sophomore coxswain Liana Ochoa, crossed the finish line at the 7:31.30 mark to top Villanova by more than nine seconds.

Following this successful third regatta of the early spring season, Kansas enters a 13-day lull in competition, allowing much time for training and adjustments prior to returning to the water. 

"The early season racing has given our team a great chance to grow and see how important it is for them to be consistent and execute our race plan,” Kansas coach Carrie Cook-Callen said in a Kansas Athletics press release. “We look forward to having a few weeks without races to train hard and see what kind of changes we can make."

The Jayhawks will return to action on April 27 at the Kansas Boathouse where the Third and Fourth Varsity Eights will take on Creighton ahead of the Dillons Sunflower Showdown on May 4.