swim2 2-9-15

Junior Chelsie Miller takes a breath during the breaststroke leg of the 200-yard individual medley Saturday. Miller took the event and was one of three Jayhawks to place in the top six. The Hawks beat Iowa State in their two day duel 169-131 in Lawrence.

Just when the NCAA tournament for men’s basketball is heating up, the NCAA Championship for swimming and diving is cooling down.

Only one Jayhawk qualified for the final meet of the season.

Junior Chelsie Miller qualified for the NCAA Championships in three events, the 1,650-yard freestyle, the 400-yard individual medley and the 200-yard individual medley. 

This wasn’t the Houston native’s first time at the big dance. She qualified last season and earned All-American status in the 400-yard individual medley with a 15th place finish. 

This season, her highest place finish was in 400-yard individual medley, where she finished 13th, besting her appearance from last season. She finished with a time of 4:08.77, her second fastest time of the season. 

“This is all a process of learning how to swim at a high level, and Chelsie has definitely made strides over the last year,” coach Clark Campbell said after her race on Friday. “It’s definitely good to see the growth over one year, especially with next year being an Olympic year.”

On Saturday, Miller finished 29th in the 1,650-yard freestyle in a time of 16:17.02. She finished just eight seconds slower than her showing at the championships last season.

Miller placed 55th in the 200-yard IM on Thursday, finishing in a time of 1:59.97. The sub-two minute time was not her career best, but was among some of her best times. Miller’s best time in the event was clocked at the 2015 Big 12 Championships.

The season may be over, but Campbell is looking forward to what comes next.

“I can’t wait to get going,” Campbell said of next season. “The team will get another week off and then getting ready for summer on March 30. In the short term, we’re looking towards the summer, but next year begins now. How we do this summer will segway into the collegiate season.”