092918 Women Cross Country 9

Senior Sharon Lokedi remained in pole position for the whole 6,000 meter race at the Rim Rock Classic.

Kansas cross country ended competition at the NCAA Midwest Regional Friday morning, with the men’s team earning a sixth place finish and women’s seventh.

The women’s team found success due to to senior Sharon Lokedi's second place finish. Lokedi earned a spot at the NCAA Cross Country Championships for the fourth time in her career.

"Sharon is a very special lady and I think she always steps up to the occasion,” Kansas coach Stanley Redwine said, according to a Kansas Athletics press release. “From watching her at Big 12s where she wasn't totally healthy and to see her recover well and do well today, I think she'll do well at NCAAs."

Moving into her last nationals, Lokedi also earned her fourth All-Region honor of her career. Though the women’s team as a whole did not qualify, Lokedi still knows what is expected of her as an individual.

"I just wish I could go with the team. We did our best, we tried, but we didn't make it,” Lokedi said. “It'll be fun, I'm excited, but on the other hand I'm also sad because I really wanted to do it with the team and have them do it with me. I'm still really excited about it and looking forward to it."

The Eldoret, Kenya, native competed hard throughout the whole race. Her presence was dominating and even led the pack with 1,000 meters remaining. Though she could not hold on to the lead, Lokedi had a solid day of competition.

"From the beginning, I was just really excited. I just wanted to go in there and compete and have another chance at competing with my teammates. I feel like it was fine. The race felt good,” Lokedi said. “Toward the end I was doing okay, I just didn't close out. Compared to last week, I feel like it's a step in the right place. We have next week so I'm just going to go back and stay competitive and get ready for next week."

The senior will travel to Madison, Wisconsin, to compete at the NCAA Championships on Nov. 17.