Soccer vs. Grand Valley State

Senior Katie McClure takes a corner kick against Grand Valley State. The Jayhawks tied the Lakers 1-1 Saturday, Mar. 23.

Kansas soccer picked up its first victory of the spring season on Saturday, defeating Missouri State 3-0 at Rock Chalk Park.

With graduating seniors not participating, the Jayhawks took leadership from other avenues, such as junior defender Eva Elíasdóttir, who scored two goals in the second half. Junior midfielder Sophie Maierhofer also proved to be a leader for the team, scoring Kansas' second of three goals.

The scoring explosion in the second half came as somewhat of a surprise after Kansas' less-than-impressive first half. The Jayhawks had five shots on target throughout the first hour, forcing Missouri State's goalkeeper into four saves. But the Jayhawks went on to explode in the second half, putting 12 shots toward goal and scoring on three of those.

Sophomore midfielder Ceri Holland and junior forward Katie McClure were in great form throughout the game, connecting on a couple of through balls for some early threats on goal for Kansas.

“In the first half, we weren't very sharp,” said Kansas coach Mark Francis in a Kansas Athletics press release, “We addressed that at halftime and I thought in the second half we looked a lot sharper. We scored three really good goals. We've worked a lot in the last two or three weeks on the attacking third and utilizing our wide players. So because of that I think we're creating opportunities but our finishing needs to be better.”

Kansas' next game will be on April 10 vs Sporting Blue Valley Boys U14 at 7 p.m.