Softball vs. OU

Junior infielder Miranda Rodriguez hits against Oklahoma University. The Jayhawks lost to the Sooners 8-0 Sunday April 14.

One day after beating No. 12 Texas Tech to earn its first win over a ranked opponent this season, Kansas softball was unable to repeat as it fell 10-2 against the Red Raiders on Friday.

Texas Tech jumped out to an early three-run lead as senior first baseman Jessica Hartwell delivered a bases clearing double that knocked Kansas’ freshman starter Lexi Mills out of the game with only two outs in the first inning.

Kansas responded in the top of the second as junior second baseman Miranda Rodriguez singled home two runners to cut the deficit to one. 

The Jayhawks were unable to do any more damage in the inning despite loading the bases after the Rodriguez single.

That was all the offense Kansas had on the day as Texas Tech junior Missy Zoch settled in and blanked the Jayhawks from that point on.

The Red Raiders put their foot on the gas on offense, adding seven runs over the final four innings to finish the game after the fifth inning on run rule.

With Friday’s win, Zoch’s record improves to 16-6 while Mills suffers her third loss in as many starts and falls to 6-8 on the year.

With Kansas (15-28) fighting for a spot in the upcoming Big 12 tournament, Saturday’s rubber match would be a major series victory. The series finale is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.