Softball vs. Texas-2.jpg

Senior pitcher Brynn Minor pitches against Texas. The Jayhawks fell to the Longhorns 4-2 Sunday, April 28.

Kansas softball began its final series of the regular season in Ames, Iowa, on Friday evening. The Jayhawks fell in extra innings to the Iowa State Cyclones 3-2.

In what amounted to a pitcher’s duel for the entire contest, Kansas and Iowa State were shut down offensively by the respective pitchers.

Senior pitcher Brynn Minor once again earned the starting nod for Kansas and was effective for much of the contest.

Outside of an RBI double in the third and an RBI single in the fourth, Minor held down the Iowa State lineup through the first seven innings.

The biggest scoring chance came for Iowa State in the fourth inning.

The Cyclones had runners on second and third with nobody out, but Minor induced three straight ground outs to keep the Cyclones off the board.

Offensively Kansas struggled to get much going.

An RBI single by junior infielder Miranda Rodriguez in the second and an RBI double by freshman infielder Morgyn Wynne in the fifth accounted for Kansas’ two runs.

Iowa State threatened to walk it off in the seventh after a double put a runner on second with one out.

However, senior outfielder Jennifer Marwitz made a solid defensive play, fielding a shallow single in right and proceeding to throw out the runner at the plate saving a run, followed by a quick throw to second by junior catcher Shelby Hughston, who finished off an inning ending double play.

Minor was unable to keep Iowa State in check forever and allowed a one out home run in the ninth inning that gave the Cyclones a 3-2 win.

Minor finished the day pitching 8 1/3 innings, giving up three runs on 10 hits. She also allowed two walks and struck out one.

Kansas and Iowa State will play a doubleheader Saturday afternoon with game one beginning at 1 p.m.