Softball vs Texas

The Jayhawks huddle on the field before the bottom of the 7th inning against the Longhorns on Friday, April 26 at Rock Chalk Park. The Jayhawks fell short to the Longhorns 0-3.

Following a disappointing series against Texas that saw Kansas get swept on senior weekend, the Jayhawks still find themselves clinging to a one-game lead for the sixth and final spot in the Big 12 tournament as they wrap up the conference and regular season against Iowa State this weekend. 

The Cyclones currently stand in fifth place with a 4-11 conference record as they were swept at home against No. 1 Oklahoma last weekend.

Kansas will need to find an offensive groove this weekend after managing just three runs over the course of three games against Texas.

Following Kansas’ 3-0 loss on Friday in which it had just two hits, coach Jennifer McFalls was displeased with her team’s performance and wanted to see more out of at-bats with runners in scoring position.

The main thing is timely hits,” McFalls said. “The two times we had runners in scoring position we had strikeouts and we can’t let that happen.”

Since the Jayhawks' upset win at Texas Tech two weeks ago, in which Kansas put six runs on the board, the offense has not scored more than two runs in a single game.

Iowa State is a dangerous team that, despite getting swept, were able to score five runs on Oklahoma over the weekend whereas the Jayhawks could not push across a single one in their series.

Senior Brynn Minor pitched very well in her two starts against Texas but will need to give just a bit more with the offense struggling. To give herself the best chance of picking up a win, Minor will need to keep the cyclones at two runs or fewer.

Redshirt freshman Sydnee Ramsey led the Jayhawks with four hits against Texas and is a major part of this offense in the lead-off spot. Ramsey’s ability to get on base and set the table for her teammates will be the key if Kansas is to wake up offensively. 

Kansas leads Baylor by one game in conference play after the Bears did not play a conference opponent last weekend. This weekend, Baylor will play Texas on the road in a two game series. 

The Jayhawks need big wins against Iowa State to not only keep pace in the race for the tournament’s final spot but also to try and claim the fifth spot and avoid a first round matchup with the dominant Oklahoma squad.