Softball vs. Texas-3.jpg

Senior outfielder Jennifer Marwitz bats against Texas. The Jayhawks fell to the Longhorns 4-2 Sunday, April 28.

Analysis

Kansas softball hit a hot spurt at the beginning of April, wining nine out of 12 games, fooling fans into thinking they would be competitive down the stretch of the Big 12 schedule. It seems as though we spoke too soon.

Since, The Jayhawks have gone an abysmal 1-11 in their last 12 games.

When comparing the two diametrically opposed 12 game records of 9-3 and 1-11, there are glaring differences in how Kansas has played during both the stretches.

During the 9-3 stretch, the Jayhawk offense was on fire as they scored 53 runs, averaging 4.42 runs per game. In their last 12 games, the Jayhawks have scored just 15 runs, averaging a meager 1.25 runs per game. 

Adding to this atrocity, the Jayhawks did not score a single run in five of their last 12 games. 

In addition to a poor offensive stretch, the Jayhawks' pitching and fielding has taken a nosedive. During its 9-3 stretch, Kansas allowed 39 runs, averaging out to 3.25 runs allowed per game.

Conversely, the Jayhawks have allowed a whopping 76 runs during their 1-11 losing stretch, coming out to 6.33 runs allowed per game.

Moreover, it should be taken into account that none of the teams they beat during their hot streak were ranked nationally. During their current 1-11 streak, they have played No. 13 Oklahoma State, No. 22 Texas Tech, No. 16 Texas and No. 1 Oklahoma.

With that in mind, it's somewhat understandable that the Jayhawks would falter during a brutal stretch like that. Perhaps the lone silver lining during the rough patch was a 6-4 victory over No. 12 Texas Tech on April 18. 

The win was the program's first win over a ranked opponent since March 25, 2017, when the Jayhawks took down Baylor.

However, there is still no excuse for averaging only one run per game and allowing 7.33 runs per game, thanks to abysmal fielding that's been riddled with errors. 

The Jayhawks have one final season series against Iowa State this weekend to salvage the season. The team will travel to Oklahoma City next Friday to compete in the Big 12 Tournament.