Softball vs. Nebraska-6.jpg

Senior pitcher Brynn Minor pitches the ball against Nebraska. The Jayhawks defeated the Cornhuskers 1-0 Sunday, March 17.

Kansas softball played its second Big 12 series of the season over the weekend against the Oklahoma State Cowgirls, dropping all three games in the series.

Kansas began the series by playing a doubleheader on Friday in hopes of avoiding weather over the weekend.

In game one, freshman pitcher Lexy Mills drew the start in the circle and struggled with her command early.

Mills retired the first batter of the game, then proceeded to walk four straight that allowed a run to make it 1-1, squandering the early lead given to Kansas on a home run by redshirt freshman infielder Sydnee Ramsey.

After the fourth walk, Mills was replaced by junior Hannah Todd, though she did not fare much better.

Todd gave Kansas 2 2/3 innings of work, but also allowed six runs and walked four.

Todd was replaced by sophomore pitcher Kirsten Pruett who pitched the final two innings and only gave up one run on one hit.

The Cowgirls shut down Kansas offensively and held the Jayhawks silent outside of the Ramsey home run to secure an 8-1 victory in the first game.

Senior pitcher Brynn Minor earned the start in game two and also had issues with her command.

Minor had seven walks over her 5 2/3 innings of work and allowed all of Oklahoma State’s five runs. It was Minor’s fourth start of the season allowing four-plus walks.

Sophomore pitcher/utility Tarin Travieso then replaced Minor for the final two outs of the sixth inning. She allowed one hit and no runs.

Once again, Kansas wasn’t able to generate anything offensively and were shut out for the fourth time this season in a 5-0 loss.

With the doubleheader in the rear-view, Kansas entered Saturday looking to avoid the sweep. But, again, the Jayhawks had issues early as Oklahoma State took a 3-0 lead after the second inning.

Minor earned her second start of the weekend and gave up three runs in 1 2/3 innings of work. Minor did show some progress, though, as she did not surrender a walk.

Kansas fought back to tie the game 3-3 in the third inning when junior infielder Becki Monaghan scored after being hit by a pitch, and junior infielder Madison Sykes following right behind with a two-RBI double.

Mills replaced Minor to end the second inning, but was unable to keep Oklahoma State off the board for long as the Cowgirls regained the lead in the bottom of the third inning on a RBI single.

Mills gave up two more runs before exiting the contest.

Todd and Kirsten Pruett also made appearances in the game, pitching the  final two innings. Todd gave up two hits and one run, while Pruett retired the two batters she faced.

The Cowgirls tacked on runs in the fourth and fifth innings as well to secure a 7-3 victory and the sweep over Kansas.

Kansas will return home this weekend for more Big 12 action as they take on No. 2 Oklahoma.

Game one of the series is scheduled for Friday, April 12 with first pitch at 5 p.m.