Swim 10-13-18.jpg

Freshman Claire Campbell swims the 500-yard freestyle on Saturday, Oct. 13.

Kansas swim and dive remains undefeated after pulling out a 152-146 victory over Nebraska in a nail-biter that came down to the very last lap Saturday Lincoln, Nebraska.

After a dominant start where the Jayhawks led by as much as 25, the Huskers would not be denied, using two strong performances back-to-back to take the lead by three heading into the final event.

The 400-yard freestyle relay was Kansas’ last hope to keep its undefeated record and could only do so with a first-place finish in the race.

The Jayhawks turned to their “A” team of junior Jenny Nusbaum, sophomore Manon Manning, freshman Claire Campbell and sophomore Lauryn Parrish.

Nusbaum jolted Kansas out to a big lead with Manning increasing it just before the final half of the race.

The Huskers closed in coming down the final stretch, but Campbell and Parrish held them off to take home the dramatic victory.

"Last night I had a feeling it was going to come down to the last relay," Kansas coach Clark Campbell said, according to a Kansas Athletics press release. "But I was really confident that both of our relays were going to be able to perform."

The come-from-behind win gave Kansas its fourth of the season, maintaining the team's perfect record.

The Jayhawks got off to a fast start as they won the first event of the day in the 200-yard medley relay.

Kansas went full-throttle to distance itself from the Huskers, finishing first, second and third in the 200-yard freestyle to gain its largest lead of the day at 59-34.

"I think the first couple events helped set the tone," Campbell said in the release. "It gave them permission to swim fast, so we just got rolling."

After the intermission break, the Jayhawks looked poised to easily take home the victory following three first-place finishes.

The Huskers would not quit however, after a dominant performance in one-meter diving where they claimed all three of the top spots. The Jayhawk lead was trimmed to just 133-129.

Immediately following, Nebraska finished first and second in the 200-yard individual medley pushing into the lead, making the score 142-139 heading into the final event.

In the final event the Jayhawks needed a first-place finish to defeat the Huskers and they got it.

The comeback victory was Kansas’ most impressive to date and will be a huge moment shift heading into its next meet.

"We talked about climbing up a mountain and today was a big mountain," Campbell said in the release. "We faced some adversity and we came in against a team that swam great but we were able to match the energy."

The swim and dive team are back in action on Nov. 16-18 for the Kansas Classic in Topeka.