When you think of October, one of the first things that comes to mind is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The NFL has its "A Crucial Catch" campaign and the WWE has its "Courage, Conquer, Cure" campaign.

Like the professional sports organizations, the University has its own October crusade against cancer.

The "Jayhawks for a Cure" movement swept through KU Athletics in recent years. The women's basketball team has held seven "Jayhawks for a Cure" games.

But this season, the campaign will expand. 

On Oct. 24, the swimming and diving team hosts Missouri State and Denver. On that day, Robinson Natatorium will have pink galore, as the swimmers will be wearing pink caps, and pink pom-poms will be given out at the door.

However, this event means much more than an abundance of pink.

"Unfortunately, we all have stories of how cancer has affected those closest to us or have friends whose lives have been disrupted by cancer," coach Clark Campbell said in a news release. "This is a great opportunity for our team and fans of our team to stand up beside them in some small way and say we're with you and want to help."

Pink cards shaped like backstroke flags will hang around Robinson for swimmers, coaches, staff and fans to write the names and personal tributes of those they know who have been affected by cancer.

Donations will be taken at the door, and 100 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Lawrence Memorial Hospital and the KU Cancer Center.

Throughout all the "Jayhawks for a Cure" games and events last season, KU fans, coaches and athletes donated more than $40,000.

The swimming and diving programs at Boston College, Duke, Florida State, Kansas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA and Utah are hosting meets this season in a national challenge to raise both awareness and money for cancer-fighting charities around the country.

As of right now, there are three other "Jayhawks for a Cure" events happening this fall: the Sept. 25 soccer game against South Dakota State, the Oct. 3 volleyball game against West Virginia, and the Oct. 17 football game against Texas Tech. The basketball events will most likely be scheduled soon. 

— Edited by Leah Sitz