David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium

After receiving a $50 million donation from David Booth, the University's football stadium was renamed as the David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium back in December. 

Beer and wine will now be sold at Kansas football home games starting this season, according to a Kansas Athletics press release Wednesday.

“Fans have told us that one of the best ways to enhance their experience at Kansas Athletics events is for them to have the ability to enjoy beer and wine, and we are pleased to provide this opportunity,” Kansas Athletics director Jeff Long said in the release.

Beer and wine have been permitted in suites and "premium-seating areas" at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium in the past. There has also been a two-year pilot program that has sold beer and wine at Kansas baseball, softball and soccer games. 

A committee was also formed in early 2019 by Chancellor Douglas Girod and Interim Provost Carl Lejuez to figure out the best way to implement this for football.

“Our research and that of others indicates that not only does alcohol availability promote attendance and improve the game-day experience for fans, it has the potential to reduce alcohol-related incidents in and around the venue,” Long said.

All sales will be handled by Centerplate, the current concessionaire for Kansas Athletics. There will also be a strictly enforced “No Re-Entry/No Pass” policy, and alcohol sales will end following the conclusion of the third quarter of each game. 

As part of this program, all vendors of alcohol will be required to be certified in Training for Intervention Procedures. 

“KU and Centerplate are dedicated to responsible service and will collaborate on a Responsible Alcohol Service policy to provide a safe environment while providing a superior customer experience,” Long said.

Kansas will become the sixth Big 12 school to sell beer and wine. About 50 Division I schools currently sell alcohol at home games.