091815_vbc_sdsu_carolinefiss.1.jpg

The team prepares for a match against South Dakota State.

Kansas was down 18-23 in the second set. Many teams would have given up, but No. 17 Kansas (12-0) clawed back, making it 23-24 before Gonzaga (7-4) took its lone set of the match.

From that point on, it was almost all Kansas. 

"Suddenly, we found the urgency and energy we needed to play with to manage a team like that," coach Ray Bechard said. "So, you might think there'd be disappointment in the locker room between games two and three, they were very enthused. They felt that level of energy and execution and then came out in the third set and fourth set and played, had a great time."

The match took four sets (25-18, 23-25, 25-20, 25-8) for Kansas to put Gonzaga away. But it was all worth it for the Jayhawks in the end. Kansas remains undefeated. Its 11-0 mark is the best start in program history.

"It's great to be 11-0, because we just beat a great team to do that," Bechard said.

Sophomore setter Ainise Havili dominated across the board in all facets. She chalked up 51 assists and 11 digs and added four kills and two service aces.

She knows very well where her team stands.

"(Being undefeated) shows our team is good, really good," she said. "We're going to do great things this season. I think everyone needs to watch out for that, because we're coming."

On the offense, three players recorded double digit kills. Sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne hammered out 17 kills. Sophomore outside hitter Madison Ridgon recorded 15 kills. Senior outside hitter Tiana Dockery recorded 13 kills. In addition, junior middle blocker Tayler Soucie registered seven kills.

Three players went to the floor for double digits in digs. Junior libero Cassie Wait led the team with 25 digs. Havili and Ridgon both added 11 apiece. Nine players in total hit the deck and recorded at least one successful dig. 

Kansas' nonconference slate ends Saturday, when Missouri State (8-3) comes in. The Jayhawks and the Bears face off at 7 p.m. in the Horejsi Center.