VolleyvsTexas

Junior outside hitter Jada Burse bumps the ball in the game against Texas on Wednesday, October 10th. The Jayhawks defeated the Texas Longhorns 3-1.

In the Jayhawks' first match in a week's time, Kansas fell to the Baylor Bears on Saturday, losing its third consecutive match (21-25, 21-25, 17-25). For Kansas, the loss moved its overall record to 13-7, dropping the Jayhawks' Big-12 record to 6-3.

This is the first time since 2014 that Kansas has fallen in three straight contests. 

For the Jayhawks, the repeated issue continues to be offensive efficiency and getting back to their old ways on the defensive front line. They would fail to see much progress in either of those areas in Waco, Texas, on Saturday, putting together just a .178 clip on the attacking end and a mere four total blocks. 

“Even there, though, we got out-dug, out-blocked – there wasn't a phase of the game we didn't struggle at," coach Ray Bechard said in a Kansas Athletics news release. “After the match in the locker room, we put it on everybody. Everyone has a responsibility to create a little better opportunity for our team to be successful.”

From the first serve, it was apparent that the match would be an uphill battle, with the teams exchanging points into a 10-10 deadlock. That would be followed by a crucial seven-point run for the Bears, putting them far enough ahead to secure a 25-21 first set victory. Even though Kansas dropped the first set, junior outside hitters Jada Burse and Ashley Smith were able to tally four kills each to lead the team’s offense.

During a crucial second set, Kansas would go through similar struggles as it did in the first, only hitting for a .156 clip in this part of the match. This set would also follow a back-and-forth feel, with there being a total of seven ties throughout the set. The latest would be a 20-20 tie, only to be followed by Baylor closing the set on a 5-1 run. 

The closing third set would be the least competitive set, finishing with a score of 25-17 with Baylor on top. The Jayhawks' offensive performance would be their worst of the day, hitting for a .150 clip in the process. Aside from tying a match-high with 15 kills in the set, they struggled with consistency as they had nine errors to go with it. 

While Kansas sits in sole possession of second place in the Big 12 standings, this was a comeback match the Jayhawks wanted to win.

Following Saturday’s match they’ll look to get back on track on the road on Wednesday, Oct. 31 at West Virginia. First serve is set for 5 p.m.