0919_VBC_MissouriState_AlexRobinson-9.jpg

Anise Havili, a setter from Fort Worth, Texas, receives the ball and sets it up to be returned during a game against Missouri State on Sept. 19.

Last week was a good week for Kansas volleyball.

The team capped off the nonconference season with a 12-0 record, marking the best start in program history. On Monday, that was noticed around the volleyball world.

The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) released its weekly poll on Monday. Kansas jumped up two spots to No. 15. Kansas has not been ranked higher than No. 17 in recent history — the Jayhawks ended the 2013 season as No. 17 and were also ranked No. 17 last week.

The NCAA statistic leaders were updated on Sunday. Sophomore setter Ainise Havili still leads the country in assists per set (12.41). Her efforts earned her the Offensive Big 12 Player of the Week title. This is the first time Havili has received that award.

"We couldn't have the success we have had in hitting efficiency and kills per set without someone making great decisions, carrying out a game plan and having a good sense of who and when to give the ball to," coach Ray Bechard said in a release. "Ainise has been just that for our team — a great director for our offense, not only last week, but the entire season."

Aside from Havili, two other Kansas players rank in the top 50 nationally in other statistics. Sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne is ranked No. 23 in hitting percentage (.427). Junior libero Cassie Wait is ranked No. 31 in digs per set (4.97). 

As a team, the Jayhawks are ranked in the top 25 nationally in 6 of 15 categories. Kansas is ranked No. 1 in assists per set (14.36), kills per set (15.46) and in an eight-way tie for No. 1 in winning percentage (1.000). Kansas is No. 4 in hitting percentage (.331), No. 15 in opponent hitting percentage (.136) and No. 24 in service aces per set (1.77).

— Edited by Derek Skillett