Volleyball vs Texas Tech.jpg

Freshman libero Lacey Angello celebrates after a point scored by junior outside hitter Jada Burse towards the end of the second set. Kansas beat Texas Tech in four sets Saturday, Nov. 3.

Kansas volleyball looks to finish the final week of the regular season strong, starting with its last road match in Ames, Iowa, against the Iowa State Cyclones. 

For Kansas, it enters play on Wednesday sitting in third place in the Big 12, trailing only Texas and Baylor, with a record of 8-6.

As for the Jayhawks' opponent, the Cyclones are currently in the middle of the pack at fifth in the conference, with a record of 7-7 in Big 12 play.

The teams will enter the match on opposite notes, with Kansas coming off a 3-0 loss at home to TCU, whereas the Cyclones are on the opposite end with a 3-0 victory over Oklahoma on the road last week.

During their first matchup this season, the Cyclones caught the Jayhawks in the midst of its worst play this season, being able to pick up a sweep over the Jayhawks. Within the match, only the second set was a close one, ending 25-23, as the first and third sets both finished by wide margins of 25-16. 

Kansas also had its worst offensive performance of the year, tallying just a .075 team hitting percentage on the day. The first set was also a season low for the Jayhawks with a -.067 hitting clip and eight kills to 10 errors. 

Defensively, Kansas was also out blocked in the match 10-5, one of the things that hasn’t happened to this team very often. The team only had two players get above a single block, with junior outside hitter Jada Burse and freshman middle blocker Rachel Langs having four and three, respectively. 

The key for Kansas to come out of this match with a much-needed win is to attack early and often. It will be crucial to get Burse involved on the attack, as she is the team leader in kills with 348 on the season. A big factor in doing this will be efficient passing as the Jayhawks have struggled with that as of late.

Following the Jayhawks nine-match winning streak earlier this season, they have lost six of their last eight matches, three of which have come by sweep. 

This match is vital not only to get another Big 12 win, but also to build some momentum heading into the regular season finale against Oklahoma and into postseason play.

Kansas will take on Iowa State Wednesday, Nov. 21. First serve is set for 6:30 p.m.