091815_vbc_sdsu_carolinefiss.2.jpg

KU's Women's Volleyball Team huddle up and get pumped for the tournament against South Dakota State.

Breaking a nine-year record didn't seem to phase the Kansas volleyball team. Afterwards, they didn't even know. The Jayhawks bested the school's record for attack percentage with their recent defeat of South Dakota State. 

No. 17 Kansas (10-0) averaged a .540 attack percentage over SDSU (1-13) in the Jayhawks' win (25-15, 25-9, 25-13).

Kansas broke the program record set on Aug. 25, 2006 when the Jayhawks averaged a .512 attack percentage at Alabama A&M. The home record for the same statistic also fell. On Nov. 24, 2009, Texas Tech came into town and Kansas recorded a .486 attack percentage.

".540 hitting efficiency is a very high number," coach Ray Bechard said after the match. "Obviously, the team we played was a little overmatched today. I still thought we, for the most part, played the type of tempo at the level we wanted to play at."

Official records aren't kept for attack percentage per set, but Kansas attacked for .882 percent in the second set. Bechard said that number had to have set some sort of record.

Sophomore outside hitter Madison Ridgon led Kansas with 16 kills and sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne recorded 10 kills in the offensive attack. Kansas as a team recorded 53 kills in the match. Current NCAA leader, sophomore setter Ainise Havili, recorded 32 assists on the afternoon as well. On the defensive, junior libero Cassie Wait came up with 15 digs.

Next up for the Jayhawks are the Gonzaga Bulldogs (7-3). The two teams are set to face off at 6:30 pm on Friday in Horejsi. 

— Edited by Miranda Davis