WBB vs. TCU.jpg

Senior forward Austin Richards drives to the paint against TCU. The Jayhawks fell to the Horned Frogs 76-66 on Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Kansas men's basketball fell to the TCU Horned Frogs on Wednesday 76-66, despite strong performances from Kansas senior guards Kylee Kopatich and Christalah Lyons and senior forward Austin Richardson. The trio all scored in double digits on a night that didn’t bring much support from the rest of the team.

“I thought from Austin Richardson, Christalah Lyons and Kylee Kopatich, we got as much as we could get out of those guys tonight,” Kansas coach Brandon Schneider said. “Unfortunately they didn’t get enough help from some of the other perimeter players.”

And while the trio of seniors put up a good effort on offense, the Jayhawks' interior play let them down. Kansas allowed 42 points in the paint on the night, while only scoring 28 points in the same area.

“We just didn’t play well at the five spot,” Schneider said. “We didn’t rebound the ball well. We didn’t defend the rim very well.”

The Jayhawks started the first quarter strong hitting from the field at a 43 percent clip as well as playing strong defense early, matching the press that TCU implemented to start the game.

Kansas finished the first half with 10 turnovers and TCU finished with nine. However, neither team was able to capitalize on these opportunities, scoring nine and four points off turnovers, respectively.

“We had some success at their place with the press and we knew we wanted to implement it more,” Schneider said. “It’s part of what they do. They mix up their defenses and I thought in the first half, we only had one turnover against the press, our issue was once we broke the press we did a poor job of getting into offense behind it and making good decisions.

TCU’s junior guard Kianna Ray punished the Jayhawks from behind the arc with four threes. The Jayhawks were able to contain the Horned Frog's three-point shooting outside of Ray, as she was the only one to hit a three-pointer for the road team.

With few games remaining in the careers of the seniors on the roster they look to find solace in the things that they can control.

“I’m just going out there and leaving it all out there and having fun," Richardson said. “Because with these last couple of games you want to leave a last impression.”

The Jayhawks will look to bounce back on Saturday in a game against West Virginia. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.