Pooratanaopa_Minnesota Invitational

Freshman Pear Pooratanaopa competes at the Minnesota Invitational, Sept. 10-11, 2018.

Kansas women’s golf claimed a top-10 finish at the Briar Creek Invitational in John’s Island, South Carolina, on March 18-19. Completing the tournament in a tie for eighth place with Clemson, the Jayhawks recorded a score of 884 (+20) after 54 holes.

Junior Yi-Tsen Chou paced the Jayhawks from the start. After two under-par rounds on day one of competition, she finished with an overall score of 216. This was Chou’s best performance since the start of the season.

"Yi-Tsen [Chou] had a solid tournament with a top-10 finish in a strong field,” coach Erin O’Neil said, according to a Kansas Athletics press release. “It was a great opportunity for her to learn how to handle being in contention to win going into a final round, and it's only a matter of time before she breaks through.”

Sophomore Sera Tadokoro tied for 26th place, shooting a three-round score of 222 (+6) and moving up 20 spots from the first day of competition. Freshman Pear Pooratanaopa recorded three birdies during Tuesday's action to finish in the top 25. Her collective score of 221 (+5) helped her move 10 spots up the leaderboard.

“Sera [Tadokoro] and Pear [Pooratanaopa] both played very consistently for us and helped us hold our own throughout the tournament," O’Neil said.

For sophomore Aristelle Acuff and senior Chomchana Phuchanbanchob the second day of competition proved to be a struggle. Acuff posted a 12-over par on the final day while Phuchanbanchob finished the day with a triple bogey.

"I think there were some nerves and expectations that caused us to have a rough start on our first nine, but we were able to regroup and get back on track, which was really nice to see," O’Neil said.

Next for the Jayhawks is the LSU Tiger Golf Classic in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, March 29-31.