Pooratanaopa_Minnesota Invitational

Freshman Pear Pooratanaopa competes at the Minnesota Invitational, Sept. 10-11, 2018.

Ending the fall season with a sixth place finish at the Trinity Forest Invitational, hosted by SMU in Dallas, Texas, Kansas women’s golf had two Jayhawks finish in the top 20 of the tournament. Collectively shooting 901 (plus-37) over three rounds, the team fell just short of having its fourth consecutive top five finish.

For freshman Pear Pooratanaopa and junior Annika Cedo, Tuesday marked their best rounds of competition. Pooratanaopa shot 1-over-73, parring 13 holes earning her a tie for 29th place. Though Cedo was unable to move up in ranking, she finished in 66th place following her best round of the tournament.

“This week was a great learning opportunity for us since Trinity Forest requires a different kind of golf than most of our team has ever encountered,” said Kansas coach Erin O’Neil, according to a Kansas Athletics press release. “We had to adjust our strategy, learn new shots, be creative, and be resilient when things didn't go our way. In the long run, it will definitely help us be more prepared for post season in the spring."

Recording a 10th place individual finish, junior Yi-Tsen Chou had an impressive final round. Shooting 2-under-70 with five birdies in her final round, she moved up 25 spots from her original place. Tuesday marked her third under par round of the season.  

"Yi-Tsen had an awesome final round today. She did a good job of sticking to her game plan and staying patient throughout the round,” O’Neil said.

Struggling Tuesday, senior Ariadna Fonseca Diaz carded multiple bogies and double bogeys. She finished the tournament shooting a three-round 229 (plus-13), shooting her first round above 77 of the season, with a third-round score of 82.

"We were in position to finish in the top five, but unfortunately didn't finish our last 4-5 holes very well,” O’Neil said. “Scores were pretty low even though it was relatively windy, so we needed to stay strong and not give shots away down the stretch."

Finished until the spring, the Jayhawks will return to action at the Moon Gold Invitational in Melbourne, Florida, Feb. 18-19.