Pooratanaopa_Minnesota Invitational

Then-freshman Pear Pooratanaopa competes at the Minnesota Invitational in September of 2018. Pooratanaopa placed 12th overall in Manhattan Monday. 

Kansas women's golf recorded a 7th place finish at the Big 12 Championship earlier this week. Recording a score of 928 (plus-64) after three rounds, junior Yi-Tsen Chou led Kansas as she finished in tenth place. With a solid first two rounds she shot 6-over-78 and recorded a birdie in her final round.

"Yi-Tsen was more like herself this week.  Mentally she was more relaxed and confident which was nice to see,” Kansas coach Erin O'Neil said according to a Kansas Athletics news release. “She has a lower ball flight and she doesn't normally have big misses which allowed her to not have any numbers to recover from during each round.”

For Chou, this was her fifth top-ten finish of the season.

“We are proud of her for staying strong and adding another top 10 finish.” O’Neil said.

In a tie for 37th was senior Ariadna Fonseca Diaz and sophomore Sera Tadokoro. Both finished with a score of 237 (plus-21) which placed them at 31st overall. Diaz struggled through the tournament, and shot 79 (+7) in the final round. 

Only finishing above two teams, the Jayhawks struggled mentally through the whole competition.

"Unfortunately, we gave the majority of our shots away to the field on or around the greens,” O’Neil said. “You can't blame the wind for that, and it's an area that we have to improve upon before next year."