Carli Lloyd

Carli Lloyd playing for the U.S. Women's National Team in San Jose, California, on May 10, 2015.

The United States national team defeated Chile 3-0 in its second match of Group F play in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup. 

As a result, the U.S. will advance to the Round of 16 in France, and its opponent will be determined after the result of its final group stage game against Sweden Thursday.

Forward Carli Lloyd scored two goals and set a record by scoring in her sixth-straight World Cup match. She charged in after a clearance attempt by Chilean defender Su Helen Galaz and scored with her left foot for the record-setting goal.

The feat was even more impressive as Lloyd’s pair of goals were shot past goalkeeper Christiane Endler. The Chilean captain made six saves and earned Player of the Match honors from FIFA in the team’s loss.

“I know that my ability is there; I know this is my best version of me. I've just got to go out there and prove it,” Lloyd told the Associated Press after the victory.

She didn't start in the World Cup opener but still scored in the 13-0 victory over Thailand.

Coach Jill Ellis swapped out seven of the starting 11 players from game one and replaced them against Chile. The changes included inserting Lloyd, who is playing in her fourth World Cup, into the starting lineup.

Forwards Tobin Heath, Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe were among the players who didn’t appear in Sunday’s match. Although Morgan scored five goals in the United States’ blowout against Thailand, Ellis made the changes to preserve her players for what she hopes is another long run.

“I don’t have any concerns over losing any rhythm or having those players who didn’t play today prepared and hungry, and ready to go,” she said in the post-match press conference.

Midfielder Julie Ertz was one of the four players to start in both games and also netted a goal past Endler. The header was her first career World Cup goal, and it came off a corner kick assist from defender Tierna Davidson.

The 20-year-old Davidson made the start of her World Cup career and was part of the lineup adjustments that Ellis made for the match against Chile as well. Davidson sent in a corner kick cross, and Lloyd headed the ball for her 10th career World Cup goal. She had a chance for a hat trick in the 81st minute but missed her penalty attempt to the left.

The U.S. has scored 16 goals in the first two games and is one shy of tying the women’s World Cup record for most scored in the group stage.

The team's group play continues as they face Sweden at 2 p.m. central time on Thursday in Le Havre, France.