141115_TCU_Fweirich11.JPG

Junior quarterback Michael Cummings throws the ball downfield during a play. Unranked Kansas played against #4 ranked TCU, almost securing a win on Saturday. The Horned Frogs outscored the Jayhawks 34-30 on Nov. 15th at Memorial Stadium. 

6,227 fans held their breath, as they watched senior Kansas quarterback Michael Cummings being walked back to the locker-room. Despite wearing a red jersey, Cummings took a shot to his left knee in the Spring Game this past Saturday.

Immediately following the scrimmage, head coach David Beaty remained optimistic regarding the injury.

But Monday morning, Beaty announced in a press release that the signal caller would require surgery on the injured knee.

“Michael sustained a left knee injury that is going to require surgery. Following his surgery he will work diligently, alongside our medical staff, to get back to the field as quickly as possible,” Beaty said.

The 5-foot-10, Texas native played in 12 games his junior season, starting in the final seven contests under center. Cummings threw for 332 yards against TCU, the most passing yards by a Kansas quarterback since 2009. He also threw for over 235 yards in five-straight games, another feat that hadn’t been accomplished by a Kansas quarterback since 2009.

Like every other position on the roster, Beaty was set on his quarterback to earn the starting nod. Cummings had been competing with junior Montell Cozart all spring, who began the 2014 season as the starter before Cummings replaced him.

The two signal callers were splitting time leading the blue offense on Saturday to give the coaching staff a chance to further evaluate them.

In the second quarter Cummings broke down field for a quarterback scramble, showing he had the ability to run. Cummings was not expecting to get hit due to the red jersey he wore, which in football symbolizes no contact.

However senior walk-on safety Michael Glatczak attempted to pull himself away from a downfield block, and the force caused him to drift towards Cummings, causing his helmet to hit the left knee of the quarterback.

According to Beaty on Saturday, who spoke with Cummings following the play, Glatczak was not at fault.

Monday morning, Beaty reiterated it was an accident.

“I have reviewed the film from Saturday and Michael Glatczak was being blocked down the field and had his back to the action for almost the entire play. At the last second he turned to make the tackle without having any idea who was carrying the ball,” Beaty said.

Beaty did not reveal any specifics on the injury, nor did he state a timetable for his return. For now Kansas will have to move forward with Cozart and junior T.J. Millweard sharing reps under center in practice.