Baseball vs Creighton

Junior infielder Benjamin Sems hits the ball against Creighton. The Jayhawks fell to the Blue Jays 6-5 Wednesday, April 24.

Analysis

Kansas baseball has 223 total runs batted in on the season, which at first glance is a respectable number. When looking closer, they have scored just 64 since entering conference play. For the team to make some noise moving forward, the Jayhawks need to do a better job of hitting with runners in scoring position. Offensive consistency as a whole has to improve in order to make the most of the remaining games on the schedule.

Junior infielder Benjamin Sems has done a lot of the heavy lifting on offense, tying teammates Rudy Karre and Dylan Ditzenberger for the team lead in RBIs with nine in Big 12 play. Besides sophomore infielder Tom Lichty, who has driven in seven, no other player has more than five RBIs in conference play. Patience at the plate is going to be vital down the stretch for this team when creating offense with men on.

Since entering conference play, the Kansas batting average has dipped from .251 in nonconference to .241 in conference play. The young hitters at the back of the lineup can elevate the offensive production of the team with patient at bats and simply getting on base. The team on-base percentage currently sits at .338 in conference play and can be improved by the five players whose percentage currently sits under .300.

Despite the conventional expectation of averages dipping as you get toward the back of the lineup, five players with at least 25 at bats in conference play is simply not going to cut it and frankly doesn’t reflect what the talent on this roster is capable of.