0919_VBC_MissouriState_AlexRobinson-20.jpg

Taylor Soucie, a middle blocker from Osawatomie, spiked the ball back to Missouri State.

The last time Iowa State came to town, Kansas broke a four-game losing streak against the Cyclones. The momentum wasn't on Kansas' side. 

This time around, the Jayhawks have all the momentum in the world. 

The No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks (16-0, 4-0) are looking to move to 17 straight wins as they head into the gauntlet of the Big 12. 

Iowa State (10-5, 3-1) may not be ranked in the AVCA poll, but its sitting in the top three of the Big 12. 

The Series

The two schools have played each other every year since 1975. Iowa State holds the all-time ledger 47-38-1, but Kansas narrowly holds the record in Lawrence, 19-15-1. 

Kansas may have won its last match against Iowa State, but aside from that, it hasn't won many, as of late. In the last 10 matches over the past five years, the Jayhawks are just 3-7 against the Cyclones.

Statistical Comparison

Kansas dominates all around in team statistics kept conference wide. 

Big 12 Statistical Comparison 
 Category Kansas Rank Iowa State Rank 
 Hitting Percentage No. 1 (.325) No. 7 (.234)
 Assists Per Set No. 1 (14.58) No. 5 (12.76)
 Blocks Per Set No. 6 (2.07) No. 8 (1.92)
 Digs Per Set No. 4 (15.62) No. 2 (16.69)
 Opponent Hitting Percentage  No. 1 (.141) No. 5 (.194)
 Kills Per Set No. 1 (15.54) No. 4 (13.80)
 Service Aces Per Set No. 1 (1.62) No. 3 (1.44)

Individually though, it looks a little closer.

In hitting percentage, Iowa State sophomore Samara West leads the Big 12 (.433). Kansas' sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne isn't that far off, ranking third conference wide (.416).

Kansas sophomore setter Ainise Havili leads the conference (and the nation) in assists per set (12.62). Iowa State's sophomore setter Monique Harris ranks sixth in the Big 12 (9.05). 

Kansas' junior middle blocker Tayler Soucie ranks at No. 4 in the Big 12 for blocks per set with 1.19. Iowa State doesn't have a player in the top 10 conference wide for blocks. 

In points per set, Payne ranks at No. 2 conference wide, averaging 4.58. Iowa State doesn't have a player in the top 10 conference wide in points. Payne also sits at No. 2 in the Big 12 in kills, averaging 4.06 per set. Iowa State's freshman Jess Schaben ranks at No. 7 averaging 3.17.

In service aces, Havili ranks out at No. 2 conference wide with an average of 0.38 per set. Sophomore Branen Berta for the Cyclones ranks at No. 5 in the Big 12, averaging 0.29 service aces per set. 

In digs, Iowa State senior Caitlin Nolan takes the cake in the Big 12, averaging 5.91 digs per set. Kansas' junior libero Cassie Wait comes in at third, averaging an even 5.00 digs per set. 

Seeing the Jayhawks for yourself

Want to get in on the action? In the words of Lee Corso: not so fast, my friend.

According to some tweets on Twitter, it looks like the match is sold out.

Upon perusing KU Athletics' ticket website, I was "unable to secure seats" in every price level for just a single seat ticket.

First serve is set for 4 p.m. on Saturday in the Horejsi Family Athletics Center.