FB v Texas HS 1

Then-freshman running back Pooka Williams Jr. runs in a touchdown on Friday, Nov. 23. The Jayhawks fell to the Texas Longhorns 24-17.

Following a seven-month suspension from the football team, sophomore running back Pooka Williams Jr. will rejoin the football team this week. However, Williams Jr. will still be suspended for home opener against Indiana State, according to Kansas Athletics.

Williams was arrested in December on suspicion of domestic battery, and was previously suspended from all football-related activities.

"While suspended, Pooka has done all that has been required of him by the courts, the university and Kansas Athletics, and most importantly, has accepted responsibility for his actions," KU Athletics Jeff Long said in a press release. "Pooka will be permitted to continue his education and football career provided he continues to meet the requirements of his diversion agreement and University Conduct sanctions."

Williams was granted diversion by the district attorney's office, and he must complete 40 hours of community service, an anger management course and a domestic violence offender assessment.

In addition to this, Williams will be subject to probation for the remainder of his time at the University. He must also complete 40 additional hours of community service, attend monthly meetings with a university conduct officer and complete a sexual violence accountability course through the KU Sexual Assault Prevention and Education Center.

"My behavior was unacceptable, and I'm very sorry to those who were impacted by my poor choices," Williams Jr. said in a press release. "I am disappointed in myself, not just as a man, but as a student-athlete looked up to by younger kids."

Williams will be allowed to continue playing and studying at the University, and he will return to team activities this week.

"Looking ahead, the most important thing to me is to regain the trust and respect of my classmates, teammates, and fans," Williams said. "I am humbled to return to football and to prepare for the season."

Kansas football's season begins Aug. 31 against Indiana State at David Booth Memorial Stadium. Kick off is set for 11 a.m.