George Mullinix/KANSAN

No pool records were safe at the Kansas swimming and diving double dual this weekend. Over the two-day event, eight records came down, most at the hand of Missouri State.

Many of the men’s records date back to the 1980’s and 90’s and have been preserved since it’s not often that men swim in Robinson Natatorium these days.  

“For October, this is a really high level,” coach Clark Campbell said of the quality of the swims. “It’s really nice to see some of our pool records that were set in the 90’s to get taken down.”

To get things started on Friday, Missouri State broke a 16-year-old record in the 200-yard medley relay, swimming a 1:32.30. The team comprised of Isaac Springer, Will Brand, Uvis Kalnins and Paul Le. The Missouri State men’s 200-yard freestyle relay squad of Le, Kalnins, Caleb Schuermann and Isaac McKnight broke the old Texas A&M record that dated back to 2003 by .26 of a second.

Two relay records weren’t enough for Kalnins, he went for the full sweep. He broke records in all four events that he swam. He broke the 200-individual medley pool record, swimming a time of 1:49.81. In the 400-yard individual medley, he broke a record dating back to 1984, swimming in a time of 3:57.16.

Those two relay records weren’t enough for Le either. He hammered out a 48.29 100-yard backstroke, beating the previous record by more than two seconds. That time currently ties for the sixth best in the country. He also broke the record in the longer, 200-yard backstroke with a time for 1:45.11. That time puts him as second overall in the country and beat the former record by over four seconds.

It wasn’t only men’s records that came tumbling down. Like Le, Sam Corea, of Denver, also broke records both lengths of the backstroke race. Corea broke the 100-yard backstroke record, swimming a 54.13 in the event. That swim puts her in the top 10 nationally. In the 200-yard backstroke, her time of 1:58.31 narrowly beat the former record by just .13 of a second.

Kansas may have not topped any pool records, but the team performed to the standards Campbell wanted.

"We had a really good second day," Campbell said. "I was really happy for the team, even though the results didn't go in our favor, team wise. Swimming wise, we're really happy with how we competed and how the divers dove. It was a really good day. We're much farther along in October now than we were last year, so that's pretty exciting."

Kansas split the dual, winning 277-75 against Missouri State, but fell to Denver, 204-148.