Jacque Vaughn.jpg

In 1994, Kansas basketball added its 12th McDonald’s All-American since 1977. A 6-foot-1 guard from Pasadena, California, Jacque Vaughn climbed his way up Kansas’ all-time scoring list and all-time assists list. 

He currently sits 37th on Kansas’ all-time scoring leaders and second on the all-time assists. Vaughn finished his collegiate career with 1,207 points and 804 assists.

Vaughn was a second-team NABC All-American for two straight years (1996, 1997) and was also a Wooden Award All-American those years. 

Starting in all but just one game in his four seasons at Kansas (125 out of 126), Vaughn averaged 9.6 points and three rebounds per game. 

Vaughn also helped lead the Jayhawks to four NCAA tournaments, playing in three Sweet Sixteens and one Elite Eight. 

His jersey, No. 45, was officially retired on Dec. 31, 2002 in Allen Fieldhouse. 

"I never thought it'd be there," Vaughn said the day of his jersey retirement. "I always appreciated the names up there who came before me and laid a foundation. I always appreciate what history is. It's amazing I can be a part of that."

"It's going to be special when I have kids who come in and say, 'Daddy, why is your name up there?' It's tough to describe what this means to me. The fans here have always been unbelievable. I love them and this university so much."

His playing days weren't over after his college eligibility ran out. In the first round of the 1997 NBA Draft, Vaughn’s name was called at No. 27 overall to the Utah Jazz. He joined fellow Kansas teammate Scot Pollard, who went No. 19 overall, in the draft selection that night. 

Vaughn did not start during his four seasons with the Jazz, but seemed to slowly progress throughout his years with the team. He went from averaging just 2.3 points per game to 6.1 in his final season with the team. 

Between 2001-04, Vaughn was traded back and forth between the Atlanta Hawks and the Orlando Magic. He started 48 out of his 80 games played with the Magic and saw minimal starts with the Hawks. 

Vaughn later spent two seasons with the New Jersey Nets, a franchise now known as the Brooklyn Nets. In 2006, he was traded to the San Antonio Spurs. There, after three seasons, he would eventually finish his playing career. In 2007, Vaughn helped bring San Antonio its fourth NBA championship in franchise history. He finished his NBA career with 3,463 total points. During his 12 seasons in the NBA, he made nine playoff appearances.

Vaughn accepted an assistant coaching opportunity with the Spurs in 2010, leaving in 2012 to become head coach of the Magic.

Following a 15-37 start with the Orlando, Vaughn was fired as head coach in early 2015 after just two and a half seasons with the team.

Vaughn returned to the Spurs as a pro scout during the 2015-16 season. He is currently an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets.