Womens Rowing vs KSU-3.jpg

Kansas rowers watch their teammates compete against Kansas State at the Sunflower Showdown on Saturday April 28.

Kansas rowing concluded its fall season on Saturday in the Tulsa Fall Invitational held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The team fought their way to the podium four times across the three races and swept the Novice Eight race, placing first, second and third.

While the fall season draws to a close, the Jayhawks put forth a strong showing in Oklahoma to build momentum heading into winter training. Starting things off for Kansas was the A boat in the Collegiate Eight race, finishing in a solid third with a time of 14:22.41.

Even though the Collegiate Four race did not favor the Jayhawks’ team, the Kansas B crew finished over a minute off the podium in fifth place, the ensuing podium sweep for the Novice Collegiate Eight proved to be a highlight of the day.

The three Kansas Novice crews all clocked in times under 16 minutes with the Kansas A crew crossing the finish line with a time of 15:10.40.

“The Novice Eight went out and once again executed their race plan perfectly," assistant coach Alyssa Armstrong said in a Kansas Athletics press release. "This group as a whole has continued to work hard at practice and it is paying off on race day."

The novice boats have been especially strong this season, and the Kansas A crew now has its second win of the season after a gold medal finish at the Jayhawk Jamboree.

The team will not have another regatta until the spring season kicks off in early March. While the fall season is often made up of longer, technical races, the spring season offers more short distance sprinting events and more regattas.

The team will now embark on several months of offseason training prior to the spring season.

“We will keep pushing to get faster and race at a higher level technically this winter,” coach Carrie Cook-Callen said in the release.

The rowing year is long from over but the Jayhawks capped a successful fall season with a worthwhile outing in Oklahoma City on Saturday. The next regatta will be on March 2, 2019 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.