Dynasties frustrate some, yet invigorate others. They showcase elite-level talent and truly how important and elusive consistency is.

Everyone chases it and hopes to “end the streak” or take down the goliaths of their respective sports. Whether it’s the New England Patriots going to their eighth Super Bowl since 2001 or the Kansas Jayhawks winning 13-straight conference titles, the top dogs are always envied and chased after.

It’s always so easy to hate on whatever team or player is dominating the game, just because after awhile many like to see something new. Parity is an idea that conference and league commissioners throw out in order to appease fans and make gameplay a little more interesting.

However, dynasties are something to remember and, say 30 years from now, they’ll be remembered for their incredible runs.

Part of the draw of sports is watching elite play from the world’s best athletes. So what is wrong with the very best dominating season to season?

The complaints about monotony and predictability are valid. Heck, even just hating the top team just because they’ve been on the top is understandable. 

But dynasties, in a weird way, are good for sports.

Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time and it doesn’t really seem up for debate at this point. Yet so many hate him for his dedication and excellence on the field. It seems that the more success an athlete or team attains, the more hate and vitriol they end up receiving.

Yet, the Patriots have changed the NFL, in both good and bad ways, admittedly. But they’ve shown what it means to build through the draft and win without making, essentially, an all-star team. At the very least, that’s pretty commendable.

For that, they will go down as one of the greatest teams/runs in sports — immortalized, yet still hated.

I never had the privilege to see Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls on their run during the 1990s, winning six NBA titles. But from what I hear it was absolutely incredible to witness such dominance by a star player and an almost unreachable team.

They were hated at the time, too, I’m sure, but have come to be respected by most.

Another instance closer to home is the aforementioned streak of the Jayhawks. Thirteen-straight conference titles isn’t easy, which makes all the headlines about the possible end of the streak make perfect sense.

The point with these examples are that elite teams in the middle of a dynasty never receive the proper respect that they may deserve. Obviously they get credit through literal trophies, but it seems as though fans alike continue to hate instead of appreciating the greatness unfolding before their very eyes.

It’s also not like the regular season is irrelevant either. If you look hard enough, parity isn’t hard to find. 

The Chiefs beat both teams headed to Super Bowl XLII, the Jayhawks have close calls nightly and this has been the most entertaining season in an NBA that has become “predictable” in recent years.

It’s easy to say, “Who cares, we know who’s going to win [insert championship here].” But that just takes away from the spectacle and is shortsighted.

And if somebody is still stubborn, think of it this way:

No team is great forever. Top players retire, college sports are always unpredictable and somehow the magic that made a run special eventually fades.

Turnover is constant in sports and dynasties aren’t necessarily commonplace.

Regardless of anyone’s viewpoint, in the end, we’ll all be glad to say we witnessed the best of the best compete, even if we hated the eventual result of the game.