Gold Cup Nicaragua US Soccer

United States' Dom Dwyer (14) takes a shot past Nicaragua's Josue Quijano (2) during a CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer match in Cleveland, Ohio, Saturday, July 15, 2017. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)

Dom Dwyer returns from national team duty

After a lackluster performance in the group stage of the Gold Cup by the United States men’s national team, in which they clinched first place on goal difference, coach Bruce Arena saw fit to send six younger players home in order to bring reinforcements from older, more experienced players.

One of those six players was Sporting Kansas City’s Dom Dwyer, with the forward having been sent home after scoring two goals in his first three games with the national team.

He scored in his debut against Ghana in an international friendly that the U.S. won 2-1, Dwyer scored again in a 1-1 draw against Panama in the first game of the Gold Cup.

Dwyer also played a part in the United States' 3-0 victory over Nicaragua. He missed a penalty before being substituted for New England Revolution’s Juan Agudelo in the 74th minute.

Kansas City’s Matt Besler and Graham Zusi will remain with the squad for the knockout rounds, with the pair set to start in Wednesday night’s quarterfinal fixture against El Salvador.

Dwyer and Zusi to feature in All-Star game

For the first time since 2014, Dom Dwyer will be named an All-Star, as he was one of two players chosen as a commissioner pick by Don Garber. Dwyer has five goals and an assist so far this season.

He will be joined by teammate and defender Graham Zusi, who will be making his fifth All-Star appearance. Zusi was voted in as part of the fan selection. Zusi has started 15 of 16 games this season for Sporting Kansas City and has kept nine clean sheets.

Cristian Lobato joins Kansas City

Spanish winger Cristian Lobato was revealed to the Kanas City media on Tuesday afternoon, as he stood smiling next to coach Peter Vermes, holding up a jersey with his name on the back above the No. 19.

The 28 year old joins Kansas City after initially agreeing to join the club on June 29 from Spanish second division club Gimnastic de Tarragona. Lobato scored twice in 45 games during his stint at Tarragona between 2015 and 2017.

Lobato will be joining up with fellow countryman and former teammate Ilie Sanchez in Kansas City. The pair played together from 2011-13, when they both played at Barcelona B in the Spanish second division.

Kansas City to host U.S. Open Cup semifinal

It was announced on Friday, June 14, that Kansas City will be welcoming the San Jose Earthquakes to Children’s Mercy Park in the semifinal of the U.S. Open Cup at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 9.

The club also learned that if they were to advance to the final, it will also be held in Kansas City. Awaiting them in the final could be either the New York Red Bulls, NASL side Miami FC, or USL’s FC Cincinnati. The game between Cincinnati and Miami had to be rescheduled for Aug. 2.

Kansas City will be on the hunt for its fourth U.S. Open Cup in franchise history, and its third in six years. Kansas City has previously won the U.S. Open Cup in 2004, 2012 and 2015.