Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake-14.jpg

Sporting KC's Benny Feilhaber dribbles the ball against Real Salt Lake in 2016. Sporting KC lost 2-1 at home.

Road trip and Sporting KC players on USMNT Duty

Sporting Kansas City continued to struggle on the road in September despite their undefeated 2017 home record, picking up just three points out of a possible nine ahead of their final road game against the Columbus Crew on Sunday.

Kansas City had their 13-game unbeaten run snapped on Aug. 12 against the Seattle Sounders in a 1-0 loss thanks to a Clint Dempsey goal in the first half.

The team then traveled to Houston to face division rival, the Houston Dynamo, with coach Peter Vermes’ men taking all three points in a 2-0 win with goals from Gerso Fernandes and Diego Rubio.

The MLS then had two weeks off due to the international break, with defenders Matt Besler and Graham Zusi earning international call-ups for the United States men’s national team. Zusi played in both games the USMNT played — a 2-0 loss to Costa Rica and 1-1 tie with Honduras — while Besler played in the 1-1 tie with Honduras.

Following the international break, Kansas City traveled to the Big Apple to face New York City FC on Sept. 6. The fixture looked to be heading toward a goalless draw until New York midfielder Jack Harrison stole all three points for the home team in the 84th minute.

Kansas City sits two points behind Western Conference leaders Seattle Sounders with a game in hand as they head to Columbus on Sunday. They will finally return home on Sept. 16 to face the New England Revolution, before hosting the U.S. Open Cup final against the New York Red Bulls on Sept. 20.

Sporting KC make second-youngest signing in MLS history with Gianluca Busio

Just three months after this 15th birthday, Sporting KC-grown player Gianluca Busio signed his first-ever professional contract with Kansas City. The deal made him the second-youngest professional player in MLS history behind Freddy Adu, when he signed with D.C. United at the age of 14.

Busio joined Sporting KC’s academy from his hometown of Greensboro, North Carolina, in the summer of 2016. His impressive performances for several Kansas City academy teams, as well as for the U.S. U-15 national team, earned him his professional contract just a year later.

With the ink still wet on the paper, Busio surpassed teammate Erik Palmer-Brown as Kansas City’s youngest homegrown talent, who signed his professional contract at the age of 16.

Kansas City bids to host 2026 World Cup

Kansas City moved a step closer to being a host city for the 2026 World Cup on Tuesday after submitting their proposal in New York City. The proposal was delivered in-person by Sporting KC CEO Robb Heineman and team president Jake Reid.

The bid, which was delivered in a booklet titled “Unity,” according to the Kansas City Star, proposed that Arrowhead Stadium would be the venue for World Cup games in Kansas City.

The United States last hosted the World Cup in 1994, with the closest venues to Kansas City being Chicago and Dallas.

Although Kansas City is home to one of the most consistent and successful teams in MLS, the city will still face significant opposition because the 2026 bid is a joint bid with Canada and Mexico.

This would spread the World Cup across a huge expanse of space, meaning more cities will be vying for a spot on the host list.

— Edited by Gabrielle Cinnamon