skc half

Sporting Kansas City striker Dom Dwyer takes a shot in the first half of Sporting's contest against the New York Red Bulls in 2015.

After not participating in Sporting Kansas City’s 1-1 tie against Real Salt Lake Saturday night, and then not being present for training on Tuesday morning, Sporting KC has confirmed that Dom Dwyer will be transferred to Orlando City Soccer Club.

The deal involves a straight player-for-cash swap, with Kansas City earning up to potentially $1.6 million allocation money in the deal, a new MLS allocation money record.

The deal involves $400,000 in general allocation money, $500,000 in targeted allocation money, and up to $700,000 in future allocation money based on his performance. The general allocation money can be used at any time to sign new players and pay for their wages, while the targeted allocation money functions the same way, but must be used within four MLS transfer windows.

In his six years at Kansas City, Dwyer scored 67 goals in 128 appearances, the second-most goals in club history. He will be returning to Orlando City, where he spent part of the 2013 season on loan, scoring 15 goals in 13 appearances for Orlando, when it still competed in the USL.

Dwyer also spent part of his college years in Florida, where he played his junior year at the USF before being selected by Kansas City as the 16th overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft in 2012.

“Dom has been a great player on the field and a tremendous ambassador off of it for this organization,” Kansas City coach Peter Vermes said in a statement. “We thank him for that and wish him nothing but the best."

Dwyer will be joining Canadian forward Cyle Larin on Orlando City, with the pair now posing as one of the most potent attacks in MLS, with 13 goals between them so far in 2017.

Despite the move, Kansas City fans will still have an opportunity to cheer for Dwyer occasionally, as he is now eligible to play for the United States national team and has already made one appearance on the team this summer. Dwyer will also feature in the MLS All-Star game in Chicago against Real Madrid on Aug. 2.