Women's Golf

Then-junior Chomchana Phuchanbanchob competes at the Marilynn Smith Invitational in Manhattan.

Over the weekend, Kansas women’s golf competed at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic and finished in tenth place after three rounds of play. The team recorded an impressive 11 birdies in the second round, but struggled in the final round, which it hard for it to move up the leaderboard. Posting an overall score of 87-over par, the Jayhawks fell behind Tulane.

“You're not going to hit it great every round, but you have to find a way to get the ball in the hole with your short game and mental game,” coach Erin O’Neil said, according to a Kansas athletics news release. “We didn't do that and unfortunately we didn't adjust very well."

Normally high-scoring Kansas junior Yi-Tsen Chou struggled after her first round. Recording a score of 15-over 87, she tied for 43rd. Bogey trouble early on was hurtful for Chou as she finished with an overall score of 239 (+23).

The top finisher for Kansas was senior Chomchana Phuchanbanchob, as she found her rhythm in the final round. Phuchanbanchob’s second round marked her fifth time this season shooting even par. She tied for 37th place with sophomore Sera Tadokoro. Both Jayhawks ended with a score 237 (+21). 

"It was a very disappointing weekend for us in general, but the last round was particularly rough,” O’Neil said.

The Jayhawks will head to the Clemson Invitational April 7-9. This will be the fourth time the Jayhawks have competed in South Carolina this season.