092315_vbcvskstate_missyminear-12.jpg

The Jayhawks cheer after winning a point.

Kansas volleyball continues to extend its win streak. The lucky number for the Jayhawks? Sweet 16.

On Wednesday evening, No. 10 Kansas (16-0, 4-0 Big 12) easily defeated the Texas Tech Red Raiders (12-6, 1-3 Big 12) in Lubbock, Texas, to continue to rewrite the program record books. The Jayhawks topped the Red Raiders in straight sets (25-21, 25-14, 25-21), the 12th time the team has swept its opponent this season.

Kansas’ program record win streak was 15 straight, a record dating back to 1991. That was broken after 24 years on Wednesday night as coach Ray Bechard’s team got to its 16th straight win versus Texas Tech. The team also continued its best start to a season, previously 10-0 in 2001.

“I’m proud of this team, but we know it is early October and there are a lot of matches to play still,” Bechard said in a news release. “This team has high expectations and high goals for this season, and we know that there will be many upcoming opportunities to take our game to another level.”

Texas Tech got out to leads in both the first set — 7-3 — and the third set — 5-1, but Kansas held steady, and especially strong in its defense.

“What impressed me the most about tonight was that we showed confidence in what we are trying to do when things weren’t working out as planned -- as it did in the start of the first and third sets,” Bechard said.

Sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne dominated the floor with 17 kills throughout the match and hit a career-high .483 percent. Sophomore outside hitter Madison Ridgon and sophomore middle blocker Janae Hall both added eight kills, respectively. Sophomore setter Ainise Havili paced the offense with 41 assists. 

In the back row, every Kansas athlete recorded at least one dig. Junior libero Cassie Wait led the defense with 16 digs.

Next up in the quest for 17 straight is Iowa State. The Cyclones come to Lawrence on Saturday, Oct. 10