trackkansasrelays

Freshman Treyvon Ferguson competes in long jump at the Kansas Relays Saturday, April 20.

After recording a personal best at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships, and taking home a gold medal at the USATF U-20 Outdoor Championships, freshman triple jumper Treyvon Ferguson will represent the United States in the triple jump at the Pan American U-20 Championships.

Ferguson’s near personal-best jump of 16.13 m launched him to the top of the leaderboard in the event, qualifying him for the Pan American Championships in July.

Whether it’s representing the U.S. in an international event, or representing Kansas at the KU Relays, Ferguson trains and prepares the same way.

“We’re just going to keep going, stick to the same routine that we’ve been doing, and keep getting good numbers,” Ferguson said. “My mindset for the meet was pretty much to go in and stay consistent coming off of nationals a few weeks ago after setting a PR.”

Ferguson’s coach, Paul Thornton, has the same mindset to prepare for the event.

“It’s about maintaining the fitness level in which you have, and keep on training leading up to it,” Thornton said. “[Ferguson's] performance is very indicative that his training levels have been maintained leading into these meets.”

Thornton said other athletes can fall short of winning these postseason events due to a lack of continued training following the collegiate season, something him and Ferguson have worked to avoid.

“Having athletes at the U.S. Olympic trials, and other U-20 competitions, it’s basically teaching them to stay within themselves and doing exactly what they know,” Thornton said of his postseason coaching strategy. “It’s not the time to reinvent the wheel, but rather just maintaining what they’re doing, and staying consistent.”

Although this was his first season at Kansas, Thornton has over a decade of coaching experience, leading 56 athletes to All-American honors.

Competing alongside Ferguson in the triple jump for the U.S. team will be silver medalist Justin Forde of Norwalk, Connecticut.

"Me and [Justin] jumped against each other a couple times when I was in high school," Ferguson said. "We both kind of bring out the best in each other."

Forde told MileSplit in an interview that Ferguson helped push him to his personal-best jump of 16.10 m by giving him some true competition in the event, and inspiring him to jump further than he ever had.

Ferguson will travel to San Jose, Costa Rica, to compete in the Pan American U-20 Athletics Championships July 19-21.