swim4 2-9-15

Sophomore Graylyn Jones takes a moment to think about her upcoming dive. Jones was one of three Jayhawks competing in the 1m dive finals Saturday morning, she took second overall.

Two Kansas divers qualified for the NCAA Zone D Diving Championships. Sophomore Graylyn Jones and freshman Nadia Khechfe will represent Kansas at the regional.

The Zone D regional is held in Iowa City, Iowa.

To qualify for zones, there is a minimum dive score that needs to be met at some point throughout the regular season. This can be done in either a dual meet or championship style meet.

The two styles of meets are different. At dual meets, divers have six dives. At championship-style meets, there are 11 dives.

Standards for the 1-meter dive require a score of 255 or better at a dual meet, or 390 or better in a championship-style meet.

Standards for the 3-meter dive call for a score of 265 or better at a dual meet, or 420 or better in a championship-style meet.

Jones scored 271.9 in the 1-meter dive back in October at a dual meet. In February, Khechfe scored 280.2 in the 3-meter dive at a dual meet.

Zones are essentially the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight of diving. The NCAA Championship comes afterward.

In the Zone D regional, the top eight in the 1-meter dive qualify for the NCAA Championship. In the 3-meter dive, the top 10 qualify.

Why those numbers? It’s based on the performances at the zone during the previous season.

— Edited by Mitch Raznick