It's finally official.

Six days after FOX Sports first reported that former Arizona State guard Sam Cunliffe would be transferring to Kansas, KU Athletics confirmed the reports by putting out a news release. 

Cunliffe — a 6-foot-6 guard weighing 200 pounds — can practice with the team as soon as he sets foot on campus and will be eligible to play following the conclusion of the fall 2017 semester.

"We'd seen Sam play in high school and thought he was a great prospect," Self said of Cunliffe in a news release. "Sam is a guy that is very athletic and can really shoot the basketball. He will be a player that will impact our program the day he becomes eligible. A lot of people view the year sitting out as a negative but I think Sam is looking at it as a positive; to come in here, get acclimated and practice against some really good players. He wants to get better and will have an impact on our program that enhances our opportunity to have a good team next year."

In 10 games at Arizona State as a starter, Cunliffe averaged 9.5 points and 4.5 rebounds. He decided to transfer away from Arizona State at semester break. 

"I knew I was going to either stay home and go to Seattle U. (University) or go to a school like Kansas," Cunliffe said in the news release. "I feel my brand of basketball is how they play at Kansas. They move the ball, under a great coach, and I will be able to play with guys who play at the highest level. I wanted to play somewhere where I could be comfortable and I got all that on my visit.

"I'm an unselfish player who wants to win," Cunliffe said. "I want to get better every day. I feel sitting out a year is good because I can just come in and not worry about playing, just worry about doing things the right way. I want to practice hard and make this team better. I want to make sure to pick stuff up so when I am ready, I can step right in."

Jan. 7 — Kansas will pick up another addition for next season in guard Sam Cunliffe. Cunliffe will transfer to Kansas from Arizona State, FOX Sports reported Saturday afternoon.

“They need me to come in and play right away and start,” Cunliffe said in the report. “It’s a great opportunity and I like these facilities, coaches and the guys."

Jim Marchiony, KU Athletics associate athletics director, could not confirm the report, he told the Kansan in an email Saturday afternoon.

The FOX report detailed that Cunliffe will not be eligible to play for the Jayhawks until the second semester of next year. At that point, he will have two full years of eligibility left.

Cunliffe had also considered Georgetown and Seattle University.

Cunliffe's Twitter account currently shows a photo of him in a Kansas uniform as the profile photo. He tweeted Arizona native and Kansas forward Mitch Lightfoot a message and retweeted a Kansas fan account.

In 10 games at Arizona State, Cunliffe averaged 9.5 points and 4.8 rebounds. He decided to transfer away from Arizona State at semester break.

Cunliffe was ranked No. 41 in the ESPN 100 list of top recruits for the 2016 recruiting class.