An eventful second day of the Kansas Relays featured the completion of both the decathlon and heptathlon competitions, along with the beginning of the track and field events in collegiate open competition.

Senior Lindsay Vollmer won the heptathlon in record-breaking fashion, winning six of the seven total events on Wednesday and Thursday. Vollmer broke the Kansas Relays record for overall points in a heptathlon with 5,767. The original record was 5,740 and was set back in 2008 by Minnesota's Liz Roehrig. Vollmer beat second-place finisher senior Sarah Kolmer by a whopping 763 points.

“It was a really good confidence booster, you always want to come out there and do the best you can,” Vollmer said. “I know I have a lot more to give and just know where to focus my training on, 800 obviously, just working on the final little critiques and technique work, hopefully it will skyrocket me to the top.”

In addition to Vollmer’s win, Kansas had a trifecta of top three finishes on Thursday. Freshman Rachel Simon freshman notched a third place finish in the 5,000 meter run, sophomore Julia Dury placed second in the 10,000 meters, and freshman Juan del Azar placed third in the 1,500 meters. 

In their first ever decathlon, freshmen Arnold Dinh and Lucas Shaw finished in ninth and 10th place. Dinh finished fifth in three events: shot put, discus and pole vault. Shaw’s top finish came when he jumped 15-foot-5, good for second place in the pole vault. Colorado State sophomore Josh Cogdill won the competition.

“It was definitely a learning experience,” Dinh said. “I found out I definitely have a lot to work on. I can’t wait for the next one. I’m a little of both excited that this one’s over and a little bummed that it is as well. But we’re looking forward to the next one.”

Sophomore Ben Brownlee and senior Teddy Oteba finished sixth and seventh in the men’s 800 meter run. Jasmine Edwards finished 12th in the 800 meters, setting a personal record of 4:47.85. In the final event of the night, senior Evan Landes won the 10,000 meters, while running unattached. Landes finished with a time of 30:21.46.

Due to severe weather expected on Saturday, all events planned to take place on Saturday have been moved to Friday.