Kansas softball is currently in its most promising state since 2015.

While its record of 14-24 may not seem astounding, Kansas softball has won six of its last seven games prior to a weekend meeting with Oklahoma State. Regardless, the Jayhawks were on a definite roll.

As a young team that seems to be finally finding its groove at the plate and in the circle, Kansas is showing that it may finally be figuring out how it needs to play in order to succeed. 

So that begs the question, who has been the most impactful player so far? 

Sydnee Ramsey

Jordan Vaughn | @JVSmoove14

Kansas softball has struggled with a record 10 games under .500 this season, but it has not been because of lack of production from redshirt freshman shortstop Sydnee Ramsey.

After her freshman year was cut short due to a knee injury in the 10th game of the season, Ramsey is back and has become the Jayhawks' primary offensive threat.

Over the last 29 games, Ramsey has hit .293 and is tied for a team-leading six home runs, and leads the team with 18 RBIs.

Ramsey’s power has been monumental for this team, as she also tallied six doubles on the year, but where she contributes most to this team is on the bases.

The shortstop has scored 23 runs this season, which leads the team by far with the next highest number being 14.

Scoring runs is the ultimate key to rack up wins, and Ramsey knocks in runners when she has the chance. She also gets herself on base and in a position for her teammates to bring her home, which is equally, if not more, important to this offense.

Ramsey has struck out just eight times this season, which the second fewest on the team. She puts the ball in play consistently and gives herself a shot to get on base and potentially score.

Of all the stats Ramsey has accumulated so far this year, the most impressive of them may be that she either leads the team or is tied for the team lead in multiple categories, despite not playing in nine of the team’s games.

With conference play heating up and Kansas having a chance to make the Big 12 tournament after missing out last year, the Jayhawks will rely on Ramsey’s ability to produce runs with the bat and on the base paths.

Morgyn Wynne

Fulton Caster | @FCaster04 

I think the list of candidates for most impactful player is deeper than one would think, with many different players stepping up at different times. However, one person has been a driving force behind this team’s success the past month and a half.

That player is Morgyn Wynne.

Wynne, a true freshman out of Pittsburg, California, has been used primarily at catcher and has started 27 of the 32 games she has appeared in this season.

Wynne began the year without much hype, and was used as sparing starter in early contests.

Since March 16, however, Wynne has started every single game and has now become the best hitter on this Kansas team. 

Wynne leads the team in batting average, hitting .319, and is tied for the team lead in home runs with six.

Eleven of Wynne’s 29 hits have been for extra bases. That is 38 percent of her hits being doubles or better. It is one of the higher percentages on the team, with her taking fewer at bats than some of her teammates.

Offensively, Wynne is Kansas’ best and most potent hitter, which has made her an offensive mainstay.

She is also loved by her teammates and her coaching staff. Wynne will be an impactful player for Kansas the rest of this year, as well as her next three years as a Jayhawk.

Kansas is finally starting to see potential around the corner and could make a few strong strides before the season is out, but the only way they’ll do it is with Morgyn Wynne leading the charge.