Due to incorrect information from a source, a previous version of this article said Hawkins’ piece will be performed in place of the traditional University Dance Company Spring Concert. It will be performed as part of the concert.

Students from the Department of Dance are preparing for auditions Sunday for a guest artist piece by Lindsay Hawkins.

Hawkins, a dancer and instructor from Columbus, Indiana, has been chosen by the department to create a show for the University from April 27 to 29.

Hawkins teaches at Arts in Motion and Rotika Dance Center in St. Louis, Missouri. Hawkins was chosen by the department to work on the show for her expertise after an application process.

Brennon Madrid, a senior student studying dance, is serving as Hawkins’ student liaison from the Department of Dance for the duration of her visit. Madrid said that Hawkins’ piece will be performed as part of the traditional University Dance Company Spring Concert.

Madrid also said, for the audition, he will lean toward a modern contemporary style of dancing; however his favorite is tap, by far.

Allie Thaman, a freshman studying dance, said she is familiar with the company, MADCO, that Hawkins’ danced for. The Modern American Dance Company is based out of St. Louis, Missouri, Thaman’s hometown.

Hawkins danced 12 seasons with MADCO, and the company has presented fifteen of her choreographic works in their repertory.

Brennon Madrid

Brennon Madrid, a senior from Colorado Springs, Colorado, is auditioning to be in a guest artist piece by Lindsay Hawkins.

Thaman is preparing for auditions by taking it easy this week and staying well rested.

“Ballet has been my favorite style for a long time, but I am leaning more towards modern as time goes on," Thaman said.

Another student, Ana Glocker, a junior and the University Dance Company’s president, is also auditioning for the guest piece. Glocker’s style is lyrical contemporary, and while this doesn’t quite match Hawkins’ perfectly, she said, she is focusing hard in her modern dance classes in order to prepare for auditions. 

“The feeling of being on stage is really unique. It’s one of those things that makes you feel alive. Just breathing in and opening your eyes as the curtain comes up, then the lights hit you — there’s nothing like it,” Glocker said.

Although no one is sure with what Hawkins will do with the piece, these students are expecting unique modern choreography with group work and partnering. 

“I hope her piece brings something different, so I can gain more experience with new styles,” Thaman said.

Auditions will be held in Robinson 242 from 4 to 5 p.m., Sunday Jan. 29.

— Edited by Paola Alor