The department of dance will celebrate community and student creativity with its upcoming production simply titled "Coalescence."

Produced entirely by four dance students, Christine Bessey, Riley Koch, Alex Olsen and Kelsie Middaugh, this performance will feature five choreographed pieces, live music, a student art sale and a speech by Habitat for Humanity.

“The show is all about community and working together,” Middaugh said. “I thought it would be a great opportunity to bring other students in to coalesce with the event.”

A few students from the department of visual art will be selling their works during the production.  What makes this performance stand out, however, is the inclusion of local musicians who will provide live music throughout.

“I came up with the idea of choreographing to live music and I really wanted to see how that would transform into a whole production,” Bessey said. “I love the contrast the music and dancing gets; to see how the music interacts with the dancers is fascinating.”

Bessey went to James Moreno, assistant professor of dance, who suggested she find more producers in order to more easily turn her hefty goal into a reality.

“In the department, whenever students put on productions, the final product always turned out to be amazing,” Koch said. “I was really excited to find out what the behind-the-scenes looked like and it’s been definitely stressful, but the good kind of stress where you know you’ll love the final product.”

Olsen, a first-time producer, said that the experience has dominated her life in the best way possible.

“I came into this wanting to get a little more involved and now I have connections and friendships that I never thought I’d have,” Olsen said. “This has been a huge part of my semester to the point that I’ll be sitting in class completely ignoring the lecture and thinking only about how I can make it even better.”

With opening night drawing closer, all four performers said they're excited to see their hard work pay off.

“We’ve been in charge of everything from directing to casting to making the posters—everything,” Olsen said. “When I was making the pamphlet for the show and I finally saw everything that we had built written out in front of me, I got so giddy and excited. I’m more than ready to see how this turns out.”

"Coalescence" will open at 6 p.m. Oct. 21 in the Robinson Center, room 240. The performance will show again Oct. 22 at the same time.