Lawrence Public Library Brief

The Lawrence Public Library is competing in the semi-finals against the Pueblo City-County Library District.

The Lawrence Public Library is among the final four libraries in the nation up for the Leslie B. Knope Award. The award, inspired by Amy Poehler’s fictional character from “Parks & Recreation," is given to the best public library, which is voted on by members of the public.

The award started with 116 nominated libraries that were placed in a bracket. Lawrence Public Library advanced to the final four after beating Lewisville, Texas by receiving 62 percent of the vote in the Eagleton Eight round, aptly named for a fictional town in the show.

Established by The Engaging Local Government Leaders organization in Winn, Oregon, the Leslie B. Knope award “was created to highlight organizations and individuals that motivate, inspire and attract the best and brightest local government,” according to a press release from the Lawrence Public Library.

Advancing to the final won’t be easy, as Lawrence is facing Pueblo, Colorado — a city which earned “2,289 votes to our 838,” said Heather Kearns, the Lawrence Public Library marketing coordinator, in the press release.

Online voting for the current round ends Friday at 11 p.m. More information about the contest and how to vote can be found on the Lawrence Public Library’s website.

— Edited by Hannah Strader