Six artists from the University were chosen to be featured in the Student Union Activities' Spring Gallery Gala, which will feature a variety of mediums of art including drawings, ceramics and multimedia artwork.

The gala will also feature a jazz ensemble, and the SUA will be giving Provost Neeli Bendapudi the Champions of The Arts Award for her work since she was named Provost last July.

The six artists chosen for the gala are Emily Mcgowan, Stephanie Maximovich, Olivia Hernandez, Rachel Sandle, Hannah Sroor and Megan Murphy.

The artists were chosen after a committee from SUA reviewed submitted artwork.

“We have a really broad range of works,” said Justin Kim, a junior from Derby studying anthropology and visual arts, and member of the committee. “Some artists submitted drawings and videos, multimedia presentations and even multiple ceramics pieces.”

Rachel Sandle, a senior from Coppell, Texas, double majoring in visual art and linguistics, submitted two ceramic sculptures for the gala.

“The more I explored different media — starting with drawing, then moving to painting, sculpture and ceramic work — the more ways I discovered how I could share my story," Sandle said. "Eventually I stuck with ceramics, although I still draw a lot.”

Sandle is unsure of whether she will be pursuing art as a hobby or a job, but she wants to continue exploring different mediums she enjoys.

“I have been making art for my whole life,” Sandle said. “For me, art is about sharing stories."

The ceramic pieces she submitted are expressions of anxiety about death and injury, according to Sandle.

Traditionally, the spring galleries focus on senior artists, while the fall galleries are focused on artists outside of the University and in the Lawrence community.

Maximovich, a 2016 fine arts graduate from Kansas City, Missouri, will be submitting paintings for the gala.

“The meaning [behind my paintings] is selfishly of and for myself,” Maximovich said. “It's never my goal to imbue a certain meaning in the hopes that my viewers will understand my intent. The goal is to just enjoy the process and paint something beautiful.”

Artwork from Maximovich, Sandle and the other artists will be displayed throughout the spring semester on campus.

The Spring Gallery Gala will be held on Friday, Jan. 27 from 5-8 p.m. in the Kansas Union Ballroom. All students and non-students are encouraged to come and see the works of art and listen to the music with free admission.

— Edited by Hannah Johnson