Marginalia

The poster for Marginalia, which portrays experiences of marginalized groups. The showcase will be on display Friday and Saturday night. 

A student-produced showcase will highlight the experiences of marginalized groups Friday and Saturday night in Robinson Center.

The showcase, called Marginalia, was produced by four University students: Alex Olsen, Christine Bessey, Kayla Wegley and Haley Czuma. 

Olsen, a junior majoring in dance and psychology, said Marginalia focuses on the relationship of marginalized groups of people and how they are shown in today’s society, including how they interact with non-marginalized groups of people.

The showcase will include several different art forms such as visual art, video art, dance, spoken word, hip-hop, and contemporary dance. The artists in the show include Leigh Kaulbach, Emma Davison, Margarita Alely Nunez Arroyo, Maya Tillman and Czuma. 

Czuma, a freshman majoring in dance and creative writing, said her piece is a contemporary dance performance about being open to talking about opinions and beliefs, as well as being confident about it.

Another piece, “The First Step is the Hardest,” by Maya Tillman, deals with how hard it is to recognize people that are marginalized, which Olsen said is the first step to fixing the problem.

Bessey, a senior majoring in dance, said the idea for the showcase as a whole originated from James Moreno, a professor in the dance department, and that he was the one who approached them about creating the showcase.

Bessey said Moreno is planning on creating a similar piece that will be performed in Chicago in October called “Margins.”

“I think that his studies and what he is interested in is based in this idea of marginalized groups of people, and I think he was excited to use the arts to get the word out about that and express it in any way,” Olsen said.

Czuma said the idea of Marginalia seemed really different from most of the shows produced in the dance department.

“People who are usually in dance shows are used to doing the same routine every single time, but this time you might have someone doing a spoken-word then something very different,” Czuma said. “Everything is all over the place, but in a good way.”

Bessey said she thinks the show is important for people to see because it brings a lot of ideas to light that someone may not normally think about.

“As a white girl, I found myself, through the process of producing the show, thinking of how I can reach out to the marginalized people and the communities,” Bessey said. 

Olsen said she hopes the show gets people talking about marginalization.

“Talking about marginalization is kind of faux pas, and people don’t talk about it and everyone knows it’s there,” Olsen said. “So I would hope that the show would make people not afraid to talk about the issues and to voice their opinions and beliefs.”

Marginalia is being performed on March 31 and April 1 at 7:00 p.m. in Room 240 in Robinson. There is a $2 suggested donation.