Carey Mulligan

In this Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015 photo, actress Carey Mulligan poses for a portrait at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Mulligan stars as Maud Watts in the new film, "Suffragette," which opens in U.S. theaters on Friday. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

In her most recent project, “Suffragette,” Academy-Award-nominated actress Carey Mulligan (“An Education”) plays a working-class-woman-turned-rebellious suffragette during a time when men called all of the shots. Her previous work has been seen on films such as “Pride & Prejudice,” “The Great Gatsby” and “Inside Llewyn Davis.”

While promoting “Suffragette,” Mulligan took the time to speak with college students from all over the country, including the University. Through her responses, Mulligan revealed her immense passion for the film, as well as her support for women's rights today.

“I think a lot of the issues in the film are hugely relevant now, and one of them is definitely the pay gap. In a lot of ways, there are lots of things that we haven’t improved on, really, in 100 years, and that’s definitely a big part of the conversation now, especially in my industry," Mulligan said. "And I think that’s a great conversation to be having because it is unfair, and it has always been unfair."

She added: "We talk about it in the film industry because people look to the film industry and listen to a lot of things that actors and actresses say, and I think that we can use that to have a wider impact on society because it shouldn’t be a self-serving conversation. It should be about, sort of, the wider society and how women are treated in the workplace and the pay gap in general.”

The film is largely based on the struggles women had in the early to mid-nineteenth century, namely the fight for women’s suffrage. Written and directed by women, “Suffragette” is not helmed by men as is the case for most films today. Mulligan said she feels that it’d be impossible to imagine what the film would be like if directed by a man instead of a woman.

“I can’t really say the experience would be one way or another because it was directed by a woman, but I do feel that as a kind of group of women, we felt very excited to be the ones who are finally going to get to tell this story because it is such a huge part of our history that has been so completely neglected," she said. "Honestly, I don’t think it would have been made by a man. I think it was always going to take this group of really tenacious women to get it made. The experience is so unique, and it shouldn’t be a unique experience to work with a large group of women, but it was. [Director] Sarah [Gavron] just led it in the most brilliant, thoughtful way.”

“Suffragette” tells a story that is a large part of history, yet it is ultimately left out of textbooks as an unrecognized time for women. Since the majority of these women’s stories are left untold, Mulligan said she wanted to give them a proper voice and display them as nobly as they truly were.

“I think [the film] is sort of a salute to them and a tribute to them. And obviously we want their story to be told because it is something that’s been written out of our history books in England," she said. "I think we wanted to show their courage and their conviction. You know, this is largely women who had everything to lose. And I think there was a huge amount of sacrifice made.

"At that time to make the choice to be a suffragette was incredibly dangerous and risky and could ruin you. They stood behind it and endured everything you see in the film and more because they felt so strongly that they needed to do this not really for themselves, but for their future, for the future generations.”

— Edited by Rebecca Dowd