Tony Award-winner Kristin Chenoweth has had a decades-long career in musical theatre, television and film. She will perform a setlist of songs from The Great American Songbook as well as her Broadway forays for her program "An Intimate Evening with Kristin Chenoweth" at the Lied Center Monday, May 8.

“We feel so privileged to be able to present someone at the top of their game, not only in the Broadway world but in the film and television world as well,” said Derek Kwan, the executive director. of the Lied Center. “To be able to bring an artist like Kristin Chenoweth to campus is something that we hope benefits the entire KU community.”

Chenoweth is perhaps best known for starring as Galinda in the original Broadway run of the musical “Wicked” from 2003 to 2004. She won a Tony Award in 1999 for her role as Sally Brown in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” and an Emmy Award in 2009 for her role in the television comedy “Pushing Daisies.” She currently has a recurring role on the Starz drama “American Gods.”

Roberta Gumbel, a lecturer in the University's School of Music, also has a background is in both musical theatre and opera, like Chenoweth. She said Chenoweth’s visit to campus is a special opportunity for aspiring performers to see a show business veteran in their element.

“It’s one thing to dream about being in the spotlight, but to really see someone who’s used to the spotlight and to see the amount of training and discipline that it takes, I think is very good for a student to see,” Gumbel said.

Chenoweth was originally going to come to Lawrence in March, but she had to reschedule the performance for unspecified reasons.

The program will start at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, May 8. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Lied Center box office.

“It’s going to be a fantastic show, and an incredible way to end the Lied Center season,” Kwan said.

— Edited by Ashley Hocking