When the Rain Stops Falling Preview

"When the Rain Stops Falling" opens Friday at 7:30 p.m.

A new show from the University Theatre explains how the actions of ancestors can leave an impact on families forever.

Guest directed by Andrew Lewis Smith, the associate dean of performance at the Western Australian Academy for Performing Arts, “When the Rain Stops Falling” poses question about “climate change, family secrets and morality,” according to the press release from the University's Department of Theatre.

“It talks about what we’re doing for the world. It’s not just a didactic piece that says, ‘Don’t do this. Do this,’” Smith told the Kansan.

The show starts in 2039, reverting back to 1959 through time travel. According to Smith, though the content matter of family drama and the planet seems “morbid,” the show remains “hopeful” and “optimistic.”

“Often we don’t say the things we would like to say to our families, and we don’t listen and engage as much as we should. I think that’s relevant in this age when everyone is so connected to their devices to have human connection,” Smith said.

The show is regarded as an Australian modern classic, according to Smith, as it is written by Andrew Bovell, another Australian. Smith was quite familiar with the show prior to his arrival at the University.

“It just speaks to us on exactly what is happening in the world right now. Being aware of what we eat and what we do to each other is of primary importance at the moment,” Lewis said.

The play opens Friday in the Crafton-Preyer Theatre at Murphy Hall at 7:30 p.m. Other showings are on March 3, 9 and 10 at 7:30 p.m., as well as on March 4 and 11 at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are on sale through the University’s ticket offices or available online for $10 in advance. At the door, tickets are $15 for students, $19 for University faculty, staff and senior citizens, and $20 for adults.